- PhD candidate C’iana Barker (Dr. David Mott, mentor) was selected as a 2014 UNCF/Merck Graduate Science Research Fellow for her project entitled ”Kainate receptor modulation in epilepsy“. This is a prestigious award given to 12 graduate students nationwide and includes 18 months of predoctoral stipend support, $10K for research purposes, travel to Washington, DC for orientation, and mentoring and professional development. Congratulations, C’iana!
- Dr. Michy Kelly was recently awarded an NIH R01 grant entitled “Compartmentalization of Cyclic Nucleotide Signaling in the Ventral Hippocampus”. This 5-year award in the amount of $1,668,750 will support research into the role of the cyclic nucleotide regulatory enzyme phosphodiesterase 11A in neuropsychiatric diseases. In addition, Dr. Kelly was Principal Investigator/Target Investigator for Project 3 (“Selective targeting of PDE11A transcription and catalytic activity”) on USC’s successful $11.3 million NIH COBRE award entitled, “Center for Targeted Therapeutics” (Dr. Igor Roninson, PI). Congratulations to Dr. Kelly on these outstanding achievements!
- Congratulations to Michael Melson, a rising senior in the laboratory of Dr. Susan Wood, on receiving the Magellan Scholar, Magellan Mini-Grant and Magellan Apprentice awards to support his project “The Role of the Locus Coeruleus in Stress Vulnerability"
- Dr. Britt Wilson has received the O’Neill Barrett Teaching Excellence Award from the School of Medicine Class of 2014. Congratulations, Dr. Wilson!
- Congratulations to Dr. Jim Augustine on being named Grand Marshall for the 2014 School of Medicine commencement exercises held on May 9 at the Koger Center.
- Dr. Jim Augustine was selected by the first year medical students for the honor of delivering a “String of Pearls” lecture for 2014.
- PPN students continue to gain recognition for their outstanding work. Denise Grosenbaugh (mentor: Dr. David Mott) received the 2014 Dean Barnhart Memorial Graduate Student Award for excellence in research, academics and service. Geetanjali Pathak (mentor: Dr. Michy Kelly) won a “Best Student Poster” Award at the 2014 Southeast Neuroscience Conference for her presentation entitled, “Homodimerization and N-terminal Phosphorylation Control the Subcellular Localization of PDE11A4.” Audrey Howard (mentors: Drs. John Baynes and Norma Frizzell) received a Magellan Undergraduate Research Award to fund her proposal entitled “Kinetics of Ascorbate Oxidation in Serum: a biomarker of endogenous oxidative stress”. Hannah Faile (mentor: Dr. Norma Frizzell) received a National Science Foundation ‘SC Steps to STEM’ internship for her undergraduate research project entitled “Turnover of Succinated Proteins in the Adipocyte”. Finally, Adam Bumgardner (mentor: Dr. Larry Reagan) was awarded funding for a Magellan Apprentice for Capstone proposal entitled “Impairment of Leptin Signaling and Depressive-Like Behavior”. Congratulations to all of these students and their mentors!
- Mike Gore, PPN Machine Shop supervisor, was named a recipient of the USC Hero Award. These awards recognize those in the USC community who have made a positive impact in the lives of coworkers and students. Congratulations, Mike!
- Congratulations to Heather Eidson, CRNA, MNA, who received the 2014 Distinguished Master’s Alumni Award at the recent Black Tie/White Coat gala.
- Congratulations to Dr. Jim Augustine, recipient of the 2014 School of Medicine Honorary Life Member Alumni Award. Dr. Augustine, a charter faculty member of the School of Medicine, will be recognized at the 2014 Black Tie/White Coat Gala on March 7th.
- Watch a YouTube video of Dr. Susan Wood explaining her research on comorbidity of depression and cardiovascular disease
- Congratulations to Allison Manuel (mentor: Dr. Norma Frizzell) and C’iana Cooper (mentor: Dr. David Mott) on receiving 2013-2014 SPARC Research Grants!
- PPN welcomes our newest faculty member, Dr. Pavel Ortinski. Dr. Ortinski, who studies the neurobiology of drug addiction, comes to USC from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Dr. Susan Wood’s research on brain mechanisms underlying stress resilience profiled by the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation Read Story here
- PPN is pleased to welcome Dr. Boris Kantor as Director of the Viral Vector Core facility. Dr. Kantor has extensive experience in viral vector design, production and characterization and joins us after several years with the Gene Therapy Center at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- Ivory Harding, a Master’s student in the laboratory of Dr. Michy Kelly, has been selected to receive a 2013 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship. These fellowships are awarded on the basis of ‘outstanding abilities and accomplishments, and potential to contribute to strengthening the vitality of the US science and engineering enterprise.’ Congratulations Ivory and Dr. Kelly!
- Congratulations to Dr. Marlene Wilson on receiving a 4-year Merit Award from the Veterans Health Administration for “Modeling Individual Differences in PTSD”.
Dr. Britt Wilson has received the O’Neill Barrett Teaching Excellence Award from the School of Medicine Class of 2013. Congratulations, Dr. Wilson!
- 2013 Experimental Biology Meeting—Dr. Susan Wood's research profiled in Red Orbit: "Brain-related mechanism could be responsible for depression-heart disease comorbidity"
- Dr. Susan Wood’s research on depression and cardiovascular comorbidity profiled on Medical News Today
- Carolina Spotlight features Jim Augustine
- Dr. Misty Smith (PhD ’01 Biomedical Sciences/PPN), currently an Assistant Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology at the University of Utah, has received the USC School of Medicine Distinguished Doctorate Alumni Award. Congratulations to Dr. Smith and her USC doctoral mentor, Dr. Marlene Wilson!
- Congratulations to Dr. Susan Wood on receiving an American Heart Association grant entitled "Neurobiological Mechanisms of Comorbid Affective-Cardiovascular Disease"
- Denise Grosenbaugh has been named a University of South Carolina Distinguished Graduate Scholar in recognition of research and scholarly excellence, awards and presentations at national conferences, and publication of papers. Denise is a Neuroscience PhD student working with PPN faculty member Dr. David Mott. Congratulations, Denise and Dr. Mott!
- Congratulations to Dr. Michy Kelly on receiving a PhRMA Foundation Research Starter Grant for “Compartmentalization of Cyclic Nucleotide Signaling in the Ventral Hippocampus”.
- Dr. Claudia Grillo has been selected to participate in the 2013 BRAINS (Broadening the Representation of Academic Investigators in Neuroscience) Symposium, to be held January 10-13 in Bainbridge Island, WA. Congratulations, Claudia!
- Congratulations to Dr. Larry Reagan for receiving a 4-year Merit Award from the Veterans Health Administration for “Decreased CNS Leptin Activity in Co-morbid Depression and Obesity”.
- Congratulations to Dr. Claudia Grillo for receiving a School of Medicine Research Development Fund award for “Leptin and Serotonin Interactions in Regulation of Food Intake”.
- Britt Wilson receives the 2012 O’Neill Barrett Teaching Excellence Award
Norman “Tad” Pedigo is inducted into the SC Beta Chapter of Alpha Omega Alpha (AΩA) Honor Medical Society. Read story here
- PPN does it again: Congratulations to Britt Wilson as the M1 teacher of the year and
Larry Reagan as M2 teacher of the year.
- Congratulations to PPN graduate student Denise Grosenbaugh (mentor: David Mott) on receiving 2nd place in the Health and Life Sciences oral competition at the recent USC Graduate Student Day!
- Augustine named visiting professor at University of Michigan
- Jim Fadel and Lawrence Reagan named “Vice-Chairs” of PPN
Michy Kelly joins PPN faculty as Assistant Professor of Neurogenomics, Epigenetics and Aging
Terika Smith invited into the prestigious Golden Key International Honor Society
- PPN welcomes new Magellan Scholars David Shipp & Nate Johnston
- Sarah Sweitzer moves to new position in Pharmacy at Presbyterian College, but continues part-time in PPN!
- Norma Frizzell, Assistant Professor, joins PPN faculty
- John Baynes, a Carolina Distinguished Professor, joins PPN
- Heather Eidson, Research Assistant Professor in PPN, starts as Clinical Coordinator for the Masters in Nurse Anesthesia primary training site in Greenville.
- Kevin LeBlanc receives USC SOM’s Distinguished Masters Alumni Award
- Debra Krotish, Assistant Director for SeniorSMART, appointed as a Research Assistant Professor in PPN.
- Sarah Sweitzer receives subcontract award with Johns Hopkins University.
- Steve Wilson receives new subcontract award Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Shayna Wrighten defends her thesis entitled “Insulin modulates synaptic transmission and AMPA receptor trafficking via insulin receptor signaling molecules in region CA1 of the juvenile and mature hippocampus” with Larry Reagan & David Mott, plus lands a teaching position at Francis Marion.
- Larry Reagan and Claudia Grillo receive grant support from the Institute de Recherches Internationales Servier
- Emily Stanley defends her thesis entitled “Age-related alterations in orexin modulation of septo-hippocampal neurotransmission” in Jim Fadel’s lab AND receives the Dean Barnhart Award. Emily is now doing a postdoctoral fellowship at Vanderbilt
- David Mott is promoted to Associate Professor with tenure
- Larry Reagan receives USC prestigious Educational Foundation Research Award for Health Sciences
- Jim Augustine is 2011 M1 Teacher of the Year Award
- Britt Wilson receives O’Neill Barrett Teaching Excellence Award at the SOM
- Tad Pedigo is nominated for the 2011 M2 Teacher of the Year award
- PPN Undergraduates win at Discovery Day 2011: Matthew Fisher (Janet Fisher’s lab), Mikhail Alexeev (Janet Fisher’s lab) and Katherine McClellan (David Mott’s Lab)
- PPN welcomes 3 new Magellan Scholars: Elisabeth Oliver, Chandler Paige, Mikhail Alexeev
- Larry Reagan and colleagues receive additional grant support from the Institute de Recherches Internationales Servier
- Ryan Butler, postdoctoral fellow with Marlene Wilson, receives a NARSAD Young Investigator Award
- Sarah Sweitzer receives new contract from Nektar Therapeutics
- Sloka S. Iyengar defended her thesis on “Differential Regulation of Synaptic Plasticity In Epilepsy” with David Mott and is now doing a postdoctoral fellowship in NYC.
- Masters in Nurse Anesthesia program receives 10 year accreditation and expands to a new Primary Training site in Greenville, SC.
- Matt Fisher working with Janet Fisher receives a Magellan Scholarship