James R. Fadel, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral: Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
PhD: Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
BS: Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
Aging in general—and age-related neurodegenerative conditions (such as Alzheimer’s disease) in particular—is associated with changes in cognitive and homeostatic function. We are interested in how brain regions and neuropeptides important for arousal and homeostasis (such as the hypothalamic orexin/hypocretin system) regulate the activity of the basal forebrain cholinergic system, which is classically associated with age-related cognitive decline. We combine anatomical, neurochemical, molecular and behavioral approaches to understand how these systems interact and how they change with aging. In addition, we use these same tools in collaboration with colleagues to study the neural underpinnings of stress and anxiety.
Orexin fibers (black) surrounding cholinergic neurons (brown) are greatly reduced in the basal forebrain of old animals (right) compared to young left).
- Reznikov, L.R., Grillo, C.A., Piroli, G.G., Pasumarthi, R.K., Reagan, L.P. and Fadel, J. (2007). Acute stress-mediated increases in extracellular glutamate levels in the rat amygdala are inhibited by antidepressant treatment. European Journal of Neuroscience 25:3109-3114.
- Fadel,J. and Burk, J.A. (2010) Orexin/hypocretin modulation of the basal forebrain cholinergic system: role in attention. Brain Research 1314:112-123.
- Pasumarthi, R.K. and Fadel, J. (2010) Stimulation of lateral hypothalamic glutamate and acetylcholine efflux by nicotine: implications for mechanisms of nicotine-induced activation of orexin neurons. Journal of Neurochemistry, 113:1023-1035.
- Butler, R.K., Sharko, A.C., Oliver, E.M., Brito-Vargas, P., Kaigler, K.F., Fadel, J.R. and Wilson, M.A. (2011) Activation of phenotypically-distinct neuronal subpopulations of the rat amygdala following exposure to predator odor. Neuroscience, 175:133-144.
- Kessler, B.K., Stanley, E.M., Frederick-Duus, D. and Fadel, J. (2011) Age-related loss of orexin/hypocretin neurons. Neuroscience, 178:82-88.
- Stanley, E.M. and Fadel, J (2012). Aging-related deficits in orexin/hypocretin modulation of the septo-hippocampal cholinergic system. Synapse 66:445-452.